Meaning of sauce
Pronunciation: (sôs), [key]
— n., v., sauced, sauc•ing.
- any preparation, usually liquid or semiliquid, eaten as a gravy or as a relish accompanying food.
- stewed fruit, often puréed and served as an accompaniment to meat, dessert, or other food: cranberry sauce.
- something that adds piquance or zest.
- impertinence; sauciness.
- hard liquor (usually prec. by the): He's on the sauce again.
- garden vegetables eaten with meat.
- to dress or prepare with sauce; season: meat well sauced.
- to make a sauce of: Tomatoes must be sauced while ripe.
- to give piquance or zest to.
- to make agreeable or less harsh.
- to speak impertinently or saucily to.
- sauce (Thesaurus)