sandbag: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (sand'bag"), [key]
— n., v., -bagged, -bag•ging.
- a bag filled with sand, used in fortification, as ballast, etc.
- such a bag used as a weapon.
- to furnish with sandbags.
- to hit or stun with a sandbag.
- The election committee was sandbagged into nominating the officers for a second term.
- to set upon violently; attack from or as if from ambush.
- to coerce or intimidate, as by threats:The election committee was sandbagged into nominating the officers for a second term.
- to thwart or cause to fail or be rejected, esp. surreptitiously or without warning:He sandbagged our proposal by snide remarks to the boss.
- to deceive (one or more opponents) into remaining in the pot by refraining from betting on a strong hand, then raising the bet in a later round.
- to sandbag one or more opponents.
- sandbag (Thesaurus)