Meaning of runoff
Pronunciation: (run'ôf", -of"), [key]
- something that drains or flows off, as rain that flows off from the land in streams.
- a final contest held to determine a victor after earlier contests have eliminated the weaker contestants.
- a deciding final contest held after one in which there has been no decisive victor, as between two contestants who have tied for first place.
- Also calleda continual or prolonged reduction, esp. in quantity or supply: a runoff in bank deposits; a sharp runoff in business inventories.
- the final prices appearing on the ticker after the closing bell is rung for the trading day.
- runoff (Thesaurus)