Meaning of roast
Pronunciation: (rōst), [key]
- to bake (meat or other food) uncovered, esp. in an oven.
- to cook (meat or other food) by direct exposure to dry heat, as on a spit.
- to brown, dry, or parch by exposure to heat, as coffee beans.
- to cook or heat by embedding in hot coals, embers, etc.: to roast chestnuts.
- to heat excessively: The summer sun has been roasting the entire countryside.
- to heat (ore or the like) in air in order to oxidize it.
- to warm at a hot fire: She roasted her hands over the fire.
- to ridicule or criticize severely or mercilessly.
- to honor with or subject to a roast: Friends roasted the star at a charity dinner.
- to roast meat or other food.
- to undergo the process of becoming roasted.
- roasted meat or a piece of roasted meat, as a piece of beef or veal of a quantity and shape for slicing into more than one portion.
- a piece of meat for roasting.
- something that is roasted.
- the act or process of roasting.
- severe criticism.
- a facetious ceremonial tribute, usually concluding a banquet, in which the guest of honor is both praised and good-naturedly insulted in a succession of speeches by friends and acquaintances.
- an outdoor get-together, as a picnic or barbecue, at which food is roasted and eaten: a weenie roast.
- roasted: roast beef.
- roast (Thesaurus)