Meaning of roadblock
Pronunciation: (rōd'blok"), [key]
- an obstruction placed across a road, esp. of barricades or police cars, for halting or hindering traffic, as to facilitate the capture of a pursued car or inspection for safety violations.
- an obstruction on a road, as a fallen tree or a pile of fallen rocks.
- a hastily built barricade, as of barbed wire, erected across a road to hold up the advance of an enemy.
- an action, condition, etc., that obstructs progress toward an objective: Nationalism is a roadblock to European unity.
- to halt or obstruct with or as if with a roadblock.
- roadblock (Thesaurus)