Meaning of rite
Pronunciation: (rīt), [key]
- a formal or ceremonial act or procedure prescribed or customary in religious or other solemn use: rites of baptism; sacrificial rites.
- a particular form or system of religious or other ceremonial practice: the Roman rite.
- (often cap.) one of the historical versions of the Eucharistic service: the Anglican Rite.
- (often cap.) liturgy.
- (sometimes cap.)Western Ch. a division or differentiation of churches according to liturgy.
- any customary observance or practice: the rite of afternoon tea.
- rite (Thesaurus)