Meaning of rigid
Pronunciation: (rij'id), [key]
- stiff or unyielding; not pliant or flexible; hard: a rigid strip of metal.
- firmly fixed or set.
- inflexible, strict, or severe: a rigid disciplinarian; rigid rules of social behavior.
- exacting; thorough; rigorous: a rigid examination.
- so as to meet precise standards; stringent: lenses ground to rigid specifications.
- of, pertaining to, or noting a body in which the distance between any pair of points remains fixed under all forces; having infinite values for its shear modulus, bulk modulus, and Young's modulus.
- (of an airship or dirigible) having a form maintained by a stiff, unyielding structure contained within the envelope.
- pertaining to a helicopter rotor that is held fixedly at its root.
- rigid (Thesaurus)