riffle: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (rif'ul), [key]
— v., n. -fled, -fling,
- to turn hastily; flutter and shift: to riffle a stack of letters; to riffle through a book.
- to shuffle by dividing the deck in two, raising the corners slightly, and allowing them to fall alternately together.
- to cause or become a riffle.
- a rapid, as in a stream.
- a ripple, as upon the surface of water.
- the lining of transverse bars or slats on the bed of a sluice, arranged so as to catch heavy minerals, as gold or platinum.
- a hopper for distributing bulk material.
- the act or method of riffling cards.
- riffle (Thesaurus)