Meaning of rhetoric
Pronunciation: (ret'ur-ik), [key]
- (in writing or speech) the undue use of exaggeration or display; bombast.
- the art or science of all specialized literary uses of language in prose or verse, including the figures of speech.
- the study of the effective use of language.
- the ability to use language effectively.
- the art of prose in general as opposed to verse.
- the art of making persuasive speeches; oratory.
- (in classical oratory) the art of influencing the thought and conduct of an audience.
- (in older use) a work on rhetoric.
- rhetoric (Thesaurus)