Meaning of respond
Pronunciation: (ri-spond'), [key]
- to reply or answer in words: to respond briefly to a question.
- to make a return by some action as if in answer: to respond generously to a charity drive.
- to react favorably.
- to exhibit some action or effect as if in answer; react: Nerves respond to a stimulus.
- to correspond (usually fol. by to).
- to make a response.
- to say in answer; reply.
- a half pier, pilaster, or the like projecting from a wall as a support for a lintel or an arch, the other side of which is supported on a free-standing pier or column.
- a short anthem chanted at intervals during the reading of a lection.
- respond (Thesaurus)