regret: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (ri-gret'), [key]
— v., n. -gret•ted, -gret•ting,
- to feel sorrow or remorse for (an act, fault, disappointment, etc.): He no sooner spoke than he regretted it.
- to think of with a sense of loss: to regret one's vanished youth.
- a sense of loss, disappointment, dissatisfaction, etc.
- a feeling of sorrow or remorse for a fault, act, loss, disappointment, etc.
- a polite, usually formal refusal of an invitation: I sent her my regrets.
- a note expressing regret at one's inability to accept an invitation: I have had four acceptances and one regret.
- regret (Thesaurus)