regent: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (rē'junt), [key]
- a person who exercises the ruling power in a kingdom during the minority, absence, or disability of the sovereign.
- a ruler or governor.
- a member of the governing board of a state university or a state educational system.
- a university officer who exercises general supervision over the conduct and welfare of the students.
- (in certain Catholic universities) a member of the religious order who is associated in the administration of a school or college with a layperson who is its dean or director.
- acting as regent of a country; exercising ruling authority in behalf of a sovereign during his or her minority, absence, or disability (usually used postpositively): a prince regent.
- regent (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.