Meaning of refuse
Pronunciation: (ri-fyz'), [key]
— v., -fused, -fus•ing.
- to decline to accept (something offered): to refuse an award.
- to decline to give; deny (a request, demand, etc.): to refuse permission.
- to express a determination not to (do something): to refuse to discuss the question.
- to decline to submit to.
- (of a horse) to decline to leap over (a barrier).
- to decline to accept (a suitor) in marriage.
- to bend or curve back (the flank units of a military force) so that they face generally to the flank rather than the front.
- to renounce.
- to decline acceptance, consent, or compliance.
Pronunciation: (ref'ys), [key]
- something that is discarded as worthless or useless; rubbish; trash; garbage.
- rejected as worthless; discarded: refuse matter.
- refuse (Thesaurus)