Meaning of refine
Pronunciation: (ri-fīn'), [key]
— v., -fined, -fin•ing.
- to bring to a fine or a pure state; free from impurities: to refine metal, sugar, or petroleum.
- to purify from what is coarse, vulgar, or debasing; make elegant or cultured.
- to bring to a finer state or form by purifying.
- to make more fine, subtle, or precise: to refine one's writing style.
- to become pure.
- to become more fine, elegant, or polished.
- to make fine distinctions in thought or language.
- to improve by inserting finer distinctions, superior elements, etc.: to refine on one's previous work.
- refine (Thesaurus)