Meaning of redundancy
Pronunciation: (ri-dun'dun-sē), [key]
— pl. -cies.
- the state of being redundant.
- superfluous repetition or overlapping, esp. of words.
- a redundant thing, part, or amount; superfluity.
- the provision of additional or duplicate systems, equipment, etc., that function in case an operating part or system fails, as in a spacecraft.
- the inclusion of more information than is necessary for communication, as in those cars, where both words are marked for plurality.
- the additional, predictable information so included.
- the degree of predictability thereby created.
- the condition or fact of being unemployed; unemployment.
- a layoff.
- redundancy (Thesaurus)