Meaning of red line
— Ice Hockey. Ice Hockey.
- a line of the color red that is parallel to and equidistant from the goal lines and divides the rink in half.
Pronunciation: (v.red'līn"n.red'līn'), [key]
— v., n. -lined, -lin•ing,
- to treat by redlining (an area or neighborhood).
- to establish the recommended safe speed of (an airplane): The bomber is redlined at 650 miles an hour.
- to draw a canceling red line through (an item on a list).
- to mark or designate for cancellation, rejection, dismissal, or the like: club members redlined for unpaid dues.
- to cause (an airplane) to be grounded.
- to engage in redlining.
- the maximum rotational speed, or angular velocity, of the engine crankshaft that is considered safe: often measured in rpm.
- a red line or boundary of a red area that delineates such a value, as on a tachometer.
- redline (Thesaurus)