redeem: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (ri-dēm'), [key]
- to buy or pay off; clear by payment: to redeem a mortgage.
- to buy back, as after a tax sale or a mortgage foreclosure.
- to recover (something pledged or mortgaged) by payment or other satisfaction: to redeem a pawned watch.
- to exchange (bonds, trading stamps, etc.) for money or goods.
- to convert (paper money) into specie.
- to discharge or fulfill (a pledge, promise, etc.).
- to make up for; make amends for; offset (some fault, shortcoming, etc.): His bravery redeemed his youthful idleness.
- to obtain the release or restoration of, as from captivity, by paying a ransom.
- to deliver from sin and its consequences by means of a sacrifice offered for the sinner.
- redeem (Thesaurus)