Meaning of realize
Pronunciation: (rē'u-līz"), [key]
— v., -ized, -iz•ing.
- to grasp or understand clearly.
- to make real; give reality to (a hope, fear, plan, etc.).
- to bring vividly to the mind.
- to convert into cash or money: to realize securities.
- to obtain as a profit or income for oneself by trade, labor, or investment.
- to bring as proceeds, as from a sale: The goods realized $1000.
- to sight-read on a keyboard instrument or write out in notation the full harmony and ornamentation indicated by (a figured bass).
- to serve as an instance, representation, or embodiment of (an abstract linguistic element or category): In “Jack tripped,” the subject is realized by “Jack,” the predicate by “tripped,” and the past tense by “-ed.”
- to convert property or goods into cash or money.
- realize (Thesaurus)