Meaning of rather
Pronunciation: (adv.ra'ur, rä'urinterj.ra'ûr', rä'ûr'), [key]
- in a measure; to a certain extent; somewhat: rather good.
- in some degree: I rather thought you would regret it.
- more properly or justly; with better reason: The contrary is rather to be supposed.
- sooner; more readily or willingly: to die rather than yield.
- more properly or correctly speaking; more truly: He is a painter or, rather, a watercolorist.
- on the contrary: It's not generosity, rather self-interest.
- to prefer that or to: I had much rather we not stay. We would rather go for dinner after the show.
- emphatically yes; assuredly; without doubt: Is the book worth reading?Rather!
- rather (Thesaurus)