Meaning of rasp
Pronunciation: (rasp, räsp), [key]
- to scrape or abrade with a rough instrument.
- to scrape or rub roughly: The glacier rasped the valley floor.
- to grate upon or irritate: The sound rasped his nerves.
- to utter with a grating sound: to rasp out an answer.
- to scrape or grate.
- to make a grating sound.
- an act of rasping.
- a rasping sound.
- a coarse file, used mainly on wood, having separate conical teeth.
- (in an insect) a roughened surface used in stridulation.
- rasp (Thesaurus)