rail: Meaning and Definition of
- a bar of wood or metal fixed horizontally for any of various purposes, as for a support, barrier, fence, or railing.
- a fence; railing.
- one of two fences marking the inside and outside boundaries of a racetrack.
- one of a pair of steel bars that provide the running surfaces for the wheels of locomotives and railroad cars. See illus. under
- the railroad as a means of transportation: to travel by rail.
- stocks or bonds of railroad companies.
- a horizontal member capping a bulwark.
- any of various horizontal members framing panels or the like, as in a system of paneling, paneled door, window sash, or chest of drawers. Cf..
- a line of cocaine crystals or powder for inhaling through the nose.
- to furnish or enclose with a rail or rails.
- to utter bitter complaint or vehement denunciation (often fol. by at or against): to rail at fate.
- to bring, force, etc., by railing.
- any of numerous birds of the family Rallidae, that have short wings, a narrow body, long toes, and a harsh cry and inhabit grasslands, forests, and marshes in most parts of the world.
- rail (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.