raid: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (rād), [key]
- a sudden assault or attack, as upon something to be seized or suppressed: a police raid on a gambling ring.
- a sudden attack on the enemy, as by air or by a small land force.
- a vigorous, large-scale effort to lure away a competitor's employees, members, etc.
- a concerted attempt of speculators to force stock prices down.
- to make a raid on.
- to steal from; loot: a worry that the investment fund is being raided.
- to entice away from another: Large companies are raiding key personnel from smaller companies.
- to indulge oneself by taking from, esp. in order to eat: raiding the cookie jar.
- to engage in a raid.
- raid (Thesaurus)