Meaning of protectorate
Pronunciation: (pru-tek'tur-it), [key]
- the relation of a strong state toward a weaker state or territory that it protects and partly controls.
- a state or territory so protected.
- the office or position, or the term of office, of a protector.
- the government of a protector.
- (cap.)the period (1653–59) during which Oliver and Richard Cromwell held the title of Lord Protector, sometimes extended to include the period of the restoration of the Rump Parliament (1659–60).
- protectorate (Thesaurus)