Meaning of protection
Pronunciation: (pru-tek'shun), [key]
- the act of protecting or the state of being protected; preservation from injury or harm.
- a thing, person, or group that protects: This vaccine is a protection against disease.
- coverage (def. 1).
- money paid to racketeers for a guarantee against threatened violence.
- bribe money paid to the police, politicians, or other authorities for overlooking criminal activity.
- a document that assures safety from harm, delay, or the like, for the person, persons, or property specified in it.
- a document given by the U.S. customs authorities to a sailor traveling abroad certifying that the holder is a citizen of the U.S.
- protection (Thesaurus)