Meaning of proposition
Pronunciation: (prop"u-zish'un), [key]
- the act of offering or suggesting something to be considered, accepted, adopted, or done.
- a plan or scheme proposed.
- an offer of terms for a transaction, as in business.
- a thing, matter, or person considered as something to be dealt with or encountered: Keeping diplomatic channels open is a serious proposition.
- anything stated or affirmed for discussion or illustration.
- a statement of the subject of an argument or a discourse, or of the course of action or essential idea to be advocated.
- a statement in which something is affirmed or denied, so that it can therefore be significantly characterized as either true or false.
- a formal statement of either a truth to be demonstrated or an operation to be performed; a theorem or a problem.
- a proposal of usually illicit sexual relations.
- to propose sexual relations to.
- to propose a plan, deal, etc., to.
- proposition (Thesaurus)