Meaning of proportion
Pronunciation: (pru-pôr'shun, -pōr'-), [key]
- comparative relation between things or magnitudes as to size, quantity, number, etc.; ratio.
- proper relation between things or parts: to have tastes way out of proportion to one's financial means.
- relative size or extent.
- dimensions or size: a rock of gigantic proportions.
- a portion or part in its relation to the whole: A large proportion of the debt remains.
- symmetry, harmony, or balance: an architect with a sense of proportion.
- the significance of a thing or event that an objective view reveals: You must try to see these mishaps in proportion.
- a relation of four quantities such that the first divided by the second is equal to the third divided by the fourth; the equality of ratios. Cf.
- analogy; comparison.
- to adjust in proper proportion or relation, as to size, quantity, etc.
- to balance or harmonize the proportions of.
- proportion (Thesaurus)