Meaning of promote
Pronunciation: (pru-mōt'), [key]
— -mot•ed, -mot•ing.
- to help or encourage to exist or flourish; further: to promote world peace.
- to advance in rank, dignity, position, etc. (opposed to demote).
- to put ahead to the next higher stage or grade of a course or series of classes.
- to aid in organizing (business undertakings).
- to encourage the sales, acceptance, etc., of (a product), esp. through advertising or other publicity.
- to obtain (something) by cunning or trickery; wangle.
- promote (Thesaurus)