Meaning of private
Pronunciation: (prī'vit), [key]
- belonging to some particular person: private property.
- pertaining to or affecting a particular person or a small group of persons; individual; personal: for your private satisfaction.
- confined to or intended only for the persons immediately concerned; confidential: a private meeting.
- personal and not publicly expressed: one's private feelings.
- not holding public office or employment: private citizens.
- not of an official or public character: private life.
- removed from or out of public view or knowledge; secret: private papers.
- not open or accessible to the general public: a private beach.
- undertaken individually or personally: private research.
- without the presence of others; alone.
- solitary; secluded.
- preferring privacy; retiring: a very private person.
- intimate; most personal: private behavior.
- of, having, or receiving special hospital facilities, privileges, and services, esp. a room of one's own and liberal visiting hours: a private room; a private patient.
- of lowest military rank.
- of, pertaining to, or coming from nongovernmental sources: private funding.
- a soldier of one of the three lowest enlisted ranks.
- not publicly; secretly: The hearing will be conducted in private.
- private (Thesaurus)