Meaning of poppy
Pronunciation: (pop'ē), [key]
— pl. -pies
- any plant of the genus Papaver, having showy, usually red flowers. Cf.
- any of several related or similar plants, as the California poppy or the prickly poppy.
- an extract, as opium, from such a plant.
- Also calledan orangish red resembling scarlet.
- an artificial flower resembling a poppy, esp. one received as evidence of a contribution to a fund for disabled war veterans.
- someone of preeminence or with a large income; important and powerful person.
- poppy (Thesaurus)