Meaning of poor mouth
— Informal. Informal.
- a person who continually complains about a lack of money.
- a plea or complaint of poverty, often as an excuse for not contributing to charities, paying bills, etc.
- to complain, esp. habitually, about a lack of money.
Pronunciation: (poor'mouth"), [key]
— v., -mouthed -mouth•ing.
- to lament or argue that one is too poor; plead poverty.
- to declare (one's ability, power, position, etc.) to be inadequate or disappointing, sometimes as an intentional understatement; downplay: We know you're just poor-mouthing your skill at playing bridge—you're a good player.