Meaning of poetry
Pronunciation: (pō'i-trē), [key]
- the art of rhythmical composition, written or spoken, for exciting pleasure by beautiful, imaginative, or elevated thoughts.
- literary work in metrical form; verse.
- prose with poetic qualities.
- poetic qualities however manifested: the poetry of simple acts and things.
- poetic spirit or feeling: The pianist played the prelude with poetry.
- something suggestive of or likened to poetry: the pure poetry of a beautiful view on a clear day.
- poetry (Thesaurus)