pity: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (pit'ē), [key]
— n., pl. v., pit•ies, pit•ied, pit•y•ing.
- sympathetic or kindly sorrow evoked by the suffering, distress, or misfortune of another, often leading one to give relief or aid or to show mercy: to feel pity for astarving child.
- a cause or reason for pity, sorrow, or regret: What a pity you could not go!
- to show mercy or compassion.
- to feel pity or compassion for; be sorry for; commiserate with.
- to have compassion; feel pity.
- pity (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.