Meaning of pious
Pronunciation: (pī'us), [key]
- having or showing a dutiful spirit of reverence for God or an earnest wish to fulfill religious obligations.
- characterized by a hypocritical concern with virtue or religious devotion; sanctimonious.
- practiced or used in the name of real or pretended religious motives, or for some ostensibly good object; falsely earnest or sincere: a pious deception.
- of or pertaining to religious devotion; sacred rather than secular: pious literature.
- having or showing appropriate respect or regard for parents or others.
- pious (Thesaurus)