phonetic: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (fu-net'ik, fō-), [key]
- of or pertaining to speech sounds, their production, or their transcription in written symbols.
- corresponding to pronunciation: phonetic transcription.
- agreeing with pronunciation: phonetic spelling.
- concerning or involving the discrimination of nondistinctive elements of a language. In English, certain phonological features, as length and aspiration, are phonetic but not phonemic.
- (in Chinese writing) a written element that represents a sound and is used in combination with a radical to form a character.
- phonetic (Thesaurus)