Meaning of patronage
Pronunciation: (pā'tru-nij, pa'-), [key]
- the financial support or business provided to a store, hotel, or the like, by customers, clients, or paying guests.
- patrons collectively; clientele.
- the control of or power to make appointments to government jobs or the power to grant other political favors.
- offices, jobs, or other favors so controlled.
- the distribution of jobs and favors on a political basis, as to those who have supported one's party or political campaign.
- a condescending manner or attitude in granting favors, in dealing with people, etc.; condescension: an air of patronage toward his business subordinates.
- the position, encouragement, influence, or support of a patron, as toward an artist, institution, etc.
- the right of presentation to an ecclesiastical benefice; advowson.
- patronage (Thesaurus)