Meaning of paternoster
Pronunciation: (pā'tur-nos'tur, pä'-, pat'ur-), [key]
- (often cap.) the Lord's Prayer, esp. in the Latin form.
- a recitation of this prayer as an act of worship.
- one of certain beads in a rosary, regularly every 11th bead, differing in size or material from the rest and indicating that the Lord's Prayer is to be said.
- any fixed recital of words used as a prayer or magical charm.
- a doorless, continuously moving elevator for passengers or goods, having numerous platforms or compartments that rise or descend on a moving chain.
- (cap.) See
- paternoster (Thesaurus)