Meaning of particle
Pronunciation: (pär'ti-kul), [key]
- a minute portion, piece, fragment, or amount; a tiny or very small bit: a particle of dust; not a particle of supporting evidence.
- one of the extremely small constituents of matter, as an atom or nucleus.
- an elementary particle, quark, or gluon.
- a body in which the internal motion is negligible.
- a clause or article, as of a document.
- (in some languages) one of the major form classes, or parts of speech, consisting of words that are neither nouns nor verbs, or of all uninflected words, or the like.
- such a word.
- a small word of functional or relational use, as an article, preposition, or conjunction, whether of a separate form class or not.
- a small piece of the Host given to each lay communicant in a Eucharistic service.
- particle (Thesaurus)