Meaning of pantomime
Pronunciation: (pan'tu-mīm"), [key]
— n., v., -mimed, -mim•ing.
- the art or technique of conveying emotions, actions, feelings, etc., by gestures without speech.
- a play or entertainment in which the performers express themselves mutely by gestures, often to the accompaniment of music.
- significant gesture without speech.
- an actor in dumb show, as in ancient Rome.
- Also calleda form of theatrical spectacle common in England during the Christmas season, generally adapted from a fairy tale and including stock character types who perform songs and dances, tell jokes, etc.
- to represent or express in pantomime.
- to express oneself in pantomime.
- pantomime (Thesaurus)