pacific: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (pu-sif'ik), [key]
- tending to make or preserve peace; conciliatory: pacific overtures.
- not warlike; peaceable; mild: a pacific disposition.
- at peace; peaceful: a pacific era in history.
- calm; tranquil: The Wabash is a pacific river.
- (cap.) of or pertaining to the Pacific Ocean.
- (cap.) of or pertaining to the region bordering on the Pacific Ocean: the Pacific states.
- a steam locomotive having a four-wheeled front truck, six driving wheels, and a two-wheeled rear truck. See table under
- pacific (Thesaurus)