overweight: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (adj.ō'vur-wāt'n.ō'vur-wāt&secv.ō&secvur-wāt'), [key]
- weighing too much or more than is considered normal, proper, etc.: overweight luggage; an overweight patient; two letters that may be overweight.
- extra or excess weight above what law or regulation allows, as of baggage or freight: The overweight will cost us $12.
- weight in excess of that considered normal, proper, healthful, etc.: Overweight in a child should not be neglected.
- greater effect or importance; preponderance.
- to weight excessively; exceed the weight limit of.
- to give too much consideration or emphasis to; stress unduly.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.