Meaning of overcome
Pronunciation: (ō"vur-kum'), [key]
— v., -came, -come, -com•ing.
- to get the better of in a struggle or conflict; conquer; defeat: to overcome the enemy.
- to prevail over (opposition, a debility, temptations, etc.); surmount: to overcome one's weaknesses.
- to overpower or overwhelm in body or mind, as does liquor, a drug, exertion, or emotion: I was overcome with grief.
- to overspread or overrun.
- to gain the victory; win; conquer: a plan to overcome by any means possible.
- overcome (Thesaurus)