overbear: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (ō"vur-bâr'), [key]
— v., -bore, -borne, -bear•ing.
- to bear over or down by weight or force: With his superior strength he easily overbore his opponent in the fight.
- to overcome or overwhelm: A spirited defense had overborne the enemy attack.
- to prevail over or overrule (wishes, objections, etc.): She overbore all objections to the new plan.
- to treat in a domineering way; dominate: to overbear one's children with threats of violence.
- (of a sailing ship) to have the advantage of (another sailing ship) because of an ability to carry more canvas safely.
- to produce fruit or progeny so abundantly as to impair the health.
- overbear (Thesaurus)