orthogonal: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (ôr-thog'u-nl), [key]
- an orthogonal projection.
- Also,orthographic.pertaining to or involving right angles or perpendiculars:an orthogonal projection.
- (of a system of real functions) defined so that the integral of the product of any two different functions is zero.
- (of a system of complex functions) defined so that the integral of the product of a function times the complex conjugate of any other function equals zero.
- (of two vectors) having an inner product equal to zero.
- (of a linear transformation) defined so that the length of a vector under the transformation equals the length of the original vector.
- (of a square matrix) defined so that its product with its transpose results in the identity matrix.
- referable to a rectangular set of axes.
- orthogonal (Thesaurus)