Meaning of occupation
Pronunciation: (ok"yu-pā'shun), [key]
- a person's usual or principal work or business, esp. as a means of earning a living; vocation: Her occupation was dentistry.
- any activity in which a person is engaged.
- possession, settlement, or use of land or property.
- the act of occupying.
- the state of being occupied.
- the seizure and control of an area by military forces, esp. foreign territory.
- the term of control of a territory by foreign military forces: Danish resistance during the German occupation.
- tenure or the holding of an office or official function: during his occupation of the vice presidency.
- occupation (Thesaurus)