Meaning of No. 1
— adv., adj., n., pl. v. noes, nos,
- (a negative used to express dissent, denial, or refusal, as in response to a question or request)
- (used to emphasize or introduce a negative statement): Not a single person came to the party, no, not a one.
- not in any degree or manner; not at all (used with a comparative): He is no better.
- not a (used before an adjective to convey the opposite of the adjective's meaning): His recovery was no small miracle.
- not a (used before a noun to convey the opposite of the noun's meaning): She's no beginner on the ski slopes.
- an utterance of the word “no.”
- a denial or refusal: He responded with a definite no.
- a negative vote or voter: The noes have it.
- it can't be done.
- to reject, refuse approval, or express disapproval of.
- to express disapproval.
- not any: no money.
- not at all; far from being: He is no genius.
- very little; negligible: We got her to the hospital in no time.
— Symbol, Chem.
- classic drama of Japan, developed chiefly in the 14th century, employing verse, prose, choral song, and dance in highly conventionalized formal and thematic patterns derived from religious sources and folk myths.
— Banking. Banking.
- no (Thesaurus)