Morton: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (môr'tn), [key]
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.
- (Ferdinand Morton), 1885–1941, U.S. jazz pianist, composer, and band leader.
- 1824–1920, vice president of the U.S. 1889–93; governor of New York 1895–96.
- 1819–68, U.S. dentist: first to employ ether as an anesthetic.
- a town in central Illinois. 14,178.
- a male given name: a family name taken from a Norman placename meaning “town on the moor.”