Meaning of mortise
Pronunciation: (môr'tis), [key]
— n., v., -tised, -tis•ing.
- a notch, hole, groove, or slot made in a piece of wood or the like to receive a tenon of the same dimensions.
- a deep recess cut into wood for any of several other purposes, as for receiving a mortise lock.
- a space cut out of a plate, esp. for the insertion of type or another plate.
- to secure with a mortise and tenon.
- to cut or form a mortise in (a piece of wood or the like).
- to join securely.
- to cut metal from (a plate).
- to cut out metal from a plate and insert (new material) in its place.
- mortise (Thesaurus)