mortify: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (môr'tu-fī"), [key]
— v., -fied, -fy•ing.
- to humiliate or shame, as by injury to one's pride or self-respect.
- to subjugate (the body, passions, etc.) by abstinence, ascetic discipline, or self-inflicted suffering.
- to affect with gangrene or necrosis.
- to practice mortification or disciplinary austerities.
- to undergo mortification; become gangrened or necrosed.
- mortify (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.