Meaning of monopoly
Pronunciation: (mu-nop'u-lē), [key]
— pl. -lies.
- exclusive control of a commodity or service in a particular market, or a control that makes possible the manipulation of prices. Cf.
- an exclusive privilege to carry on a business, traffic, or service, granted by a government.
- the exclusive possession or control of something.
- something that is the subject of such control, as a commodity or service.
- a company or group that has such control.
- the market condition that exists when there is only one seller.
- (cap.) a board game in which a player attempts to gain a monopoly of real estate by advancing around the board and purchasing property, acquiring capital by collecting rent from other players whose pieces land on that property.
- monopoly (Thesaurus)