Meaning of modify
Pronunciation: (mod'u-fī"), [key]
— v., -fied, -fy•ing.
- to change somewhat the form or qualities of; alter partially; amend: to modify a contract.
- (of a word, phrase, or clause) to stand in a syntactically subordinate relation to (another word, phrase, or clause), usually with descriptive, limiting, or particularizing meaning; be a modifier. In a good man, good modifies man.
- to be the modifier or attribute of.
- to change (a vowel) by umlaut.
- to reduce or lessen in degree or extent; moderate; soften: to modify one's demands.
- to be or become modified.
- modify (Thesaurus)